Sunday 14 October 2012

This blog will basically be a mix up of food I eat, see, cook with my friends in the smallest kitchen I have ever seen (no oven either so be warned we have to be very inventive here) and also hopefully a few posts about my life here just to show food isn't the only thing on my mind...

Also, I have a tendency to completely forget to take food pictures until I have already practically demolished the plate in front of me. This means I often end up with pictures of partially eaten food I've pushed around a bit with my fork to hide the giant hole like this...



Or photos of half-drunk coffee like this...

But mostly I hope to have as many photos of food which hasn't been assaulted by me like this...

These are giant macaroons which I found at Ikea of all places. I had the pistachio and it was a complete surprise for me. They managed the perfect little crunch on the outside which gave way to the essential gooey-ness in the middle which is pretty hard to get right. All for 1 euro 50 I think. Imagining how good the ones from the actual patisserie here doesn't even bear thinking about. I will do a comparison as soon as I can!

Just a side note for anyone who is actually thinking of coming to Aix en Provence or even just France as a foreign student - do think about bringing your parents and hiring a car for all the initial trips to Ikea or Carrefour, or at least find someone nice enough to take you. You will need it to get all the stuff you couldn't cram into your suitcase like a duvet and pillow. Things you will not be able to do without, trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment