Saturday 23 February 2013

The day of carbohydrates and the "Flangers"

Started the last day of the half term with a quick run (which lasted about as long as it took me to realize that running ad -5 degrees is not a good idea) and a workout I pulled off pinterest which had me more sweaty and breathless than my usual runs so I should definitely try that again...except I probably won't because I'm a have a wimpishly low pain threshold and it hurt too much.
I had a fresh baguette in my room crying out "EAT ME. DAMN YOU EAT ME." So I decided to go all out on this baby:
I herbed up one egg and one egg white, half an avocado and my beloved shiracha. It was perfect with peppermint tea and kept me totally full until my lunch a couple of hours later. I forgot my camera so I couldn't photograph it, but I bought a smoked salmon, avocado and tomato sandwich on pain du lait with paprika mayo. *drool*  I could only get through half because of rubbish class times (12-6pm with no breaks) so I kept sneaking a bite when the professor wasn't looking. Dammit. Unfinished food can regularly draw tears so it wasn't a good moment for me.

I heard something quite strange a couple of days ago which came back to me when typing about baguettes. I overheard a girl talking about giving up carbohydrates for lent. In France, saying you want to go on a carb free diet is on a par with saying you want to go on a food-free diet. Sure, the vegetables and fruit here are plentiful and delicious but I still see having the freedom to go into the bakery around the corner and saying "Une baguette s'il vous plait!" as a privilege I will be unlikely to get again in my lifetime. Why would anyone want to give it up? WHY?! *Ahem* Confused rant over.

I went to one of my first gigs yesterday and I am happy to say that I was as uncool in my excitement as to be expected from a girl was once staring so hard at a shop window she smacked her head against the window pane. The bands were brilliant, listening to English being sung by people who have a very loose grasp of the English language and therefore what they are singing certainly makes way for something special. The names of bands included the "Flangles" and "The Paddys". Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment