Tuesday 30 October 2012

couscous and christmas

I'm staying in France over the Christmas holidays with friends. For two weeks I'm going to live in a house overlooking Mount St Victoire with log fires and (hopefully) snow outside...AAAAHHH!!! I can't wait! In order to have a truly French Christmas, we are going to make sure we get all our cravings for mince pies and Christmas pudding out of the way early and stick to a traditional Provencal menu on Christmas day. I can't believe that we are already planning Christmas! Time is flying by so fast but whenever I think about December  I can't help but get goosebumps and feel like a child again.
 When visiting the house we decided to investigate a village nearby. By investigate of course I mean all the restaurants so when we saw there was a couscous restaurant we couldn't resist! With me being a couscous novice, everyone decided that we absolutely had to try the couscous royale because it means I could try a whole selection of meat (of course I had absolutely no objections to this whatsoever!) I can honestly say that I have never eaten so much or so well. Being me, it was totally useless trying everything because I would never be choose between the lamb, sausage, chicken or meatballs even if my life depended on it. I can't even choose whether to have toast or cereal for breakfast for goodness sake.
It was so lovingly cooked that we all felt guilty once we were defeated and had to leave some, but there is only so far you can pile your plate in the name of good manners, however hard we tried. For dessert we all ordered Ile Flottante and after that we were well and truly stuffed. We set out on a post-lunch walk to help us stop feeling so queasy and to get a feel of the village.  I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful place, still pinching myself in the evening when I look over all my photos. France is a hundred times better than I imagined it would be, and I had pretty high expectations to begin with.
 

Some of the post-lunch recovery walk discoveries...

 
A me-sized door
Ready made den! Acting as though I'm about 10 years old again and stealing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment